Wednesday, May 04, 2005

My Spouse Was Afraid I Was Going to Have a Stroke

You see, I read that there is a Bill in the Michigan House, SB 72 requiring schools to offer students a chance to say the Pledge of Allegiance every day and that its movement through the Legislature has been slowed as some committee members questioned which version of the Pledge was to be required. Representative LaMar Lemmons, III (D-Detroit) argued the committee should hold off action on the bill until members had copies of the Pledge. Then I read that, at the next meeting, the committee is expected to amend an amendment offered by Rep. Brenda Clack (D-Flint), which would require schools to in some fashion provide students with a copy of the Pledge, to specify the section of federal law proclaiming the official wording.

Historically, there have been changes but that does not mean there are four versions, since only the one from 1954 is official.

I pledge allegiance to my Flag,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all. (1892)

I pledge allegiance to my Flag,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all. (1923)

I pledge allegiance to the Flag
of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all. (1924)

I pledge allegiance to the Flag
of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all. (Flag Day – June 14, 1954)

I emailed Representatives Lemmons and Clack the following:


Subject: Please share with your fellow Democrats.

USC Title 4, Chapter 1, § 4

Pledge of allegiance to the flag; manner of delivery

The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag: “I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”, should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. When not in uniform men should remove any non-religious headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute.

I would be happy to offer the assistance of my granddaughter, a proud Girl Scout, should you need assistance in memorizing the words.

Sincerely,
Neva Li


Who in Heaven's name votes for people like this as their Representatives? It's an embarrassment.

Or it damned well should be.