Thursday, May 05, 2005

I Like This Ugly Car

If I could afford a new car right now, it might well be a Toyota Camry or Corolla, but it might also be a Scion. It's ugly as hell, but it uses every square inch of space, runs well, according to reports and has nice tinted windows. My main irritation with owning one might center around a ouple of things.

One, I'd have to keep pronouncing it for folks (sigh-on) and two, sooner or later, it's going to start showing up as inner city kids names and pronounced Sky-on or Skee-on and it would make me want to smack a parent or two. I've got a student in one of my classes that hopes to name her first born, Apprecianata. Says she should appreciate her Mama for giving birth to her. While that may be true, I'm not taking bets on her appreciating the name.

My ex-brother-in-law, while his wife was pregnant, worked at Sears. In the camera department. I have a niece named Yashica as a result. I suppose we all ought to be happy he never had a boy or there'd be a guy running around named Craftsman.