Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Part of my problem is...

I just keep thinking.

I was driving over my daughter's house tonight and she was not in a great mood, caught once more in the battle that is family sometimes, so I snagged her and we went for a short ride to talk. Subjects are mother-daughter privileged but at one point, we stop at a party store (a Michigan euphemism for a liquor store) and go in.

I don't see anyone and my daughter says, slightly above a normal tone, "Helllo?"

At which point, I really do realize I can't see a freaking soul and I grab her arm and say, low but firm, "Let's get out of here - NOW."

My brain is screaming red alert and I'm backing up, hand under my jacket and pulling her with me, when the idiot that runs the store finally pops up from behind the counter, cell phone stuck to his ear and gapes at us like we're from some other planet.

I wanted to kick his behind for scaring me that bad.

Here's a piece of advice, despite the positive outcome this time. If you ever walk into a Party Store, convenience store, whatever you want to call it, and you can't see anyone anywhere - GET OUT. They aren't called stop and robs for nothing and I'd rather look a little silly than get caught in the middle of something.