Thursday, November 11, 2004

11-11-11 (part 2)

I went to Elmwood today because I wanted to see our young men and women in the JROTC Color Guard pay their respects to the veterans buried there. The celebration, first organized by Beulah Ware Hamilton, is conducted in Section S of the cemetery, where 19 members of the 102nd Colored Infantry are buried. The 102nd U.S Colored Infantry Regiment was formed in the summer of 1863 as the Volunteer First Michigan Colored Infantry. It was renamed the 102nd after mustering into the Union Army in 1864. Members of the 102nd served with distinction in South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

Mrs. Hamilton first conceived of the idea 20 years ago, while visiting her husband's gravesite. Her husband had been a local historian and often led groups to the cemetery on guided tours. Mrs. Hamilton became unhappy with the fact that the veterans interred there were not recognized other than by plain granite headstones. There were no ceremonies, not even an American Flag flew at the site. "To honor their legacy and the legacy of my husband, I decided to hold a Veteran's Day ceremony there every year," Mrs. Hamilton said.

Now, every year, 11-11, there is, because of Mrs. Hamilton's love and respect for both her husband and country:
    - A presentation of the American flag;
    - A presentation of wreaths honoring the 102nd Colored Infantry, including two Native Americans from Michigan who served in the Civil War, and all veterans - living and deceased - who have served our country;
    - A roll call for the 102nd Color Infantry and the Native Americans as the Color Guard places a single red rose on each of those graves;
    - The playing of "Taps" as the cadets of the Color Guard of local High School JROTC platoons stand silent, at attention, with quiet faces, honoring past veterans and those who serve today.


Today there were more than 500 of them.
You've seen pictures of men and women in uniform, stiffly at attention - I won't repeat that experience, but the young people and their leaders seen below left me with a warm heart and moist cheeks.




I asked the young cadet above if I might take his picture.
"Yes, ma'am."
I pointed to where I would like him to stand and he stepped into place without prompting. When I asked him if he would like a copy of the picture, he replied, "Yes, ma'am. I believe my mother would as well."
I got a little misty over that one. Mom has much to be proud of in that young man.


The young man's respect for his Commander is obvious.


I decided, while I was there, to just pick one of the stones and see if I could find out anything about the man beneath it who had served his country. I decided it would be one of the 102nd and was caught by the name of a young sharpshooter, John Jacko. Such a cavalier sort of name. The stone lying flat in the ground identified him as John Jacko, Pvt. of Company K, First Michigan Sharpshooters, born 1841, died 1870. The upright headstone, however, was different. It said Jacko Nat-Bah-Me-No-Linc.


As it turns out, John, aka Nat-Bah-Me-No-Linc, was one of the two Native Americans buried there from Company K of the 1st Michigan Sharpshooters. Company K, it seems, was comprised of Ottawas and Chippewas primarily from Michigan and Wisconsin. John enlisted February 14, 1865 at Grand Rapids but was actually from the tiny village of Horton's Bay (now known as Horton Bay) and he was 20 years old when he volunteered. He mustered out a few short months later on July 28, 1865, at Delaney House in Washington, DC, three months after the war ended at Appomattox.


John died when he was 29 years old. In my short historical journey, I didn't find records of how he lived or how he died. What I did find was his grave, honored by the young people who have chosen to wear the uniform of the Country John served. They do us proud, the young people I saw today. I thank them, their officers, their parents and the schools that support their presence.




And I thank You, Nat-Bah-Me-No-Linc.

Honor a Veteran Today and Every Day. Support our troops.